Published on Jan 26, 2023 04: 56 PM IST

Maintaining adequate calcium, which is at least 1, 000 mg of calcium intake per day is important for prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. If you are a vegan, here are some sources associated with calcium for you.

A diet rich in calcium, magnesium, Vitamin K and zinc can help maintain bone health

A diet rich in calcium, magnesium, Vitamin K and zinc can help maintain bone health

By , New Delhi

Osteoporosi s can make your bone fragments weak plus fragile so much so that even a mild fall is enough to fracture a bone or two. Osteoporosis-related fractures most commonly occur in the hip, wrist or spine. Maintaining a healthy weight, saying no to alcohol and tobacco, eating the balanced diet plan and staying active may prevent one from this disease. A diet full of calcium , magnesium, Supplement K and zinc can help maintain bone health. Besides, regular exercise is important with regard to improving bone tissue density. According to recent statistics from the International Brittle bones Foundation, worldwide, 1 in 3 women over the age of 50 years and 1 in 5 men will experience osteoporotic fractures within their lifetime. Symptoms associated with osteoporosis may not appear until a bone break occurs. Risk factors include age, being female, family history, low body weight, smoking, plus excessive alcohol consumption. (Also read: Osteoporosis: Foods for ladies over 30 to prevent weakening of bones)

“Osteoporosis continues to be the major and common health issue. Bones are made up of calcium mineral and store 99% of the calcium in the body while the particular remaining only 1% is stored & utilised in blood, muscles, and tissues. If you are not getting calcium from your daily diet, your body pulls it from your bones to sustain other functions that are very important for immediate survival. Also, some amount of calcium will be continually excreted in the urine. So, if your dietary intake does not compensate for what is usually lost, your own bones will certainly lose calcium supplement over time, which will lead you in order to the risk of developing osteoporosis, ” says nutritionist Lovneet Batra in her recent Instagram post.

How much calcium to consume for brittle bones prevention

“Maintaining adequate calcium mineral, that is at least one, 000 mg of calcium supplement intake per day through nutritional sources or even supplements is definitely widely regarded as a safe and effective strategy for the particular prevention plus treatment of osteoporosis. However, too much calcium can also cause issues such as constipation, gas, and bloating. Extra calcium may also increase the risk associated with kidney stones. In rare cases, a lot of calcium mineral may also trigger deposits of calcium within your blood. This can be called hypercalcemia, ” says Batra.

Plant-based causes of calcium supplement

Batra states dairy is certainly often thought of as the just source of calcium as 1 cup associated with milk gives 290 magnesium of calcium mineral, but there are also plenty of plant-based sources that should be a part associated with your vegan diet as all of them are packed with several other nutrients needed to maintain healthy bones.

1 . Your body needs magnesium to keep bone fragments health and not getting sufficient magnesium in your diet could increase your risk of building osteoporosis.

2 . Vitamin K is necessary for the function of proteins involved in bone formation plus maintenance.

3. Zinc is needed regarding proper bone tissue growth and maintenance, and it also promotes bone fragments regeneration. Low levels of zinc have been associated with postmenopausal osteoporosis.

Batra also opened up on top vegan resources of calcium supplement:

1 cup turnip greens = 200 mg associated with calcium

one tbsp, sesame seeds = 146 mg of calcium

1 cup soy bean = 175 mg of calcium

1 cup mustard greens sama dengan 120 magnesium of calcium mineral

1 mug okra = 120 mg of calcium supplement

It is important to take care associated with your calcium intake along with vitamin D as it is necessary for maintaining strong bones, especially in older adults. It’s essential to get enough calcium mineral through diet plan or supplements, especially during childhood plus adolescence when bones are still developing.

Follow more stories upon Facebook & Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *